“The Side Split” This 1960’s side split was ideally situated on a large 75’ x 150’ corner lot in Coronation Park, Oakville. The original house was well kept, but needed updating and a larger footprint to accommodate more living space. The new home owner’s desire was to keep the unique “half level” layout of the side split, but wanted the look and feel of a two storey home. This presented many challenges along the way – all which were overcome and in the end created an incredible outcome. The house is truly one of a kind!
Unique Design Elements
- A 200 sqft main floor addition was added off the kitchen to create a walkout to the backyard and modern sized great room, perfect for entertaining.
- A 650 sqft third level addition was added off of the existing second floor to create a new master ensuite, including a large principle room, ensuite and two walk-in closets. The space was finished off with vaulted ceilings.
- The ceilings on the second floor were raised to 12’ feet and a skylight was added, to give a very dramatic feel to the upper hallway.
- The exterior of the house was designed to look like a traditional two storey house, while maintaining the side split layout on the inside.
- Open tread staircases and glass railings were used to add modern polish and maintain the airy feel and contemporary look throughout the house.
- The landscaping will be completely done over the next two years, including a supporting wall made out of armor stone, single stringer steel staircase with glass railings from great room to the patio, wrought iron fencing and soft landscaping materials.